Many of us complain about a burning sensation in the throat or chest especially after a meal. This becomes a routine for some people to take antacid medications to ease the pain due to heartburn. But is it correct to do it on a regular basis? Taking medicine to reduce the pain is not at all a wrong thing but ignoring the warning alarm of our body certainly put you at high risk of getting something worse. Well I am not here to scare you but surely if you are experiencing heartburn on a regular basis then it could be a symptom of something which you might never have dreamt of. Persistent heartburn is the most prominent sign of gastroesophageal reflux disorder or gerd. This is a common digestive system disorder that is characterized by reverse or back flow of the stomach content (might be food or liquid i.e. stomach acid) to the esophagus. This action causes irritation of esophagus and heartburn occurs as a major symptom.
Many times heartburn is treated as a “single disorder” but certainly it could be one of the symptoms of gerd. This disorder is also known as the acid reflux as stomach acid back flow to the esophagus causing heartburn. Thus it is essential to get to know about the gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms thoroughly. This helps you to identify the symptoms of gerd and to take necessary precautions till you get the medical help. Once you know the gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms, do not ignore them or stop the treatment in between as it may create complications. Some of the common gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms are listed below:
• Heartburn which is a burning sensation in the chest and throat
• Sour or bitter taste in the mouth
• Hoarseness of the voice
• Frequent urgency of clearing of the throat
• Difficulty in swallowing
• Coughing especially at night
• Worsening of the above symptoms of gerd especially heartburn after having meal or bending or lying down
If you left the gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms untreated or ignored, they may create complications and sever symptoms of gerd occur. These are the symptoms when you need to get urgent medical help. These severe gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms are elaborated below:
• Barrett’s esophagus – This is characterized by the inflammation and extreme cell damage due to constant exposure to stomach acid. This may lead to cancer of esophagus.
• The other symptom is the backflow of the stomach acid into mouth that causes coughing and choking.
• Hoarseness of voice occurs due to damage to the vocal cords due to persistent exposure to stomach acid.
• Feeling nauseated and vomiting especially after a meal are also severe gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms.
One needs to monitor his or her symptoms of gerd to control them with medications and also with changes in diet. Diet changes helps a lot along with medicines to reduce gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms. When you get to know that certain food product is irritating or increasing the symptoms of gerd then stop taking that food. Make sure that you will consult your doctor first before taking nay medicine. Generic Nexium is one of the medications use to reduce gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms effectively. This drug is a proton pump inhibitor type of drug that blocks the enzyme in the walls of the stomach producing acid. Thus Generic Nexium reduces stomach acid production and helps to ease the gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms. Due to suppression of stomach acid, Generic Nexium gives sufficient time for esophagus and stomach to heal.